This page covers details on the support that we are providing for Ukraine and links that may be useful.
How are we helping?
We will help in the following ways:
- Working together to support those who are able to offer housing to Ukrainian refugees and those who may not be able to provide rooms but want to help. Please see https://www.causn.com
- Coordinating any donations for specific materials that are requested from Ukraine or refugee camps in bordering countries, channeling them through the Rotary Club initiative at Glebe Farm in Astbury.
If you want to offer rooms / a home to Ukrainian refugees or help as part of the support group
If you’re interested, please get in touch with us, join our group if you’d like to and indicate what support you’d like to provide.
There is no pressure to host but we know that there is an appetite to help.
Please see https://www.causn.com
Please indicate if you’re interested in:
- hosting Ukrainian refugees
- providing some other form of support
- being kept informed of what we’re doing.
What you need to do if you are interested in hosting a Ukrainian family or an individual
- Get informed about what it involves – Sanctuary Foundation provided a webcast that provides a very useful introduction. A recording is available here: https://youtu.be/4n-Wmru5LIA
- Register your interest on the government scheme website here: https://homesforukraine.campaign.gov.uk/
- Get matched with Ukrainian evacuees, this is best done through one of the charities leading this effort. We have registered with Sanctuary Foundation (https://sanctuaryfoundation.org.uk/). One of the groups who they work with (Reset Communities and Refugees) have built / are building a matching site for sponsors and evacuees. At present, only the evacuee registration part is live but we will update this post as a soon as we know when the sponsor part goes live. The website is homesforukraine.org.uk. We have also had another matching website recommended: https://www.host4ukraine.com/. We can help you in the matching process. We identify potential Ukrainian guests who are looking for sponsors, meet with them online, and then identify potential matches with the people offering to host and discuss with everyone before making the introductions. We have found this is safer for everyone.
- Once both parties have agreed that they want to be matched (we would recommend video chat) we will support both parties through the visa application process.
Please get in touch if you would like our support through the process.
Donations to Ukraine
The most effective way you can help is through financial donations to one of the charities working on the ground in Ukraine or the bordering countries. However specific requests do come through and locally this is being coordinated through the Rotary Club at Glebe Farm in Astbury.
They are still collecting for the following items: sleeping bags, sanitary products, nappies, wipes, food (that you could easily heat up at a campfire or just add hot water to), first aid supplies, toiletries, babies’ Nurofen, Calpol, baby food / milk, torches with batteries.
They store all deliveries on pallets and then call for volunteers on sorting days and then organize for containers to be taken out to where they are needed. Details are posted here: https://www.facebook.com/search/posts/?q=glebe%20farm%20astbury.
We will update this page if we run any collection campaigns or call for volunteers to support their sorting days.